Thursday 19 July 2018

Going North...

Going North

Day 10 13/07/2018

Friday the 13th. Today was the first day being just myself and Tobias. Our plan is to paddle as far north as possible. Tobias having three week and then I'll continue when Tobias has to go back to work.

Still a northerly wind but the weather forecast for the following week was looking good. Southerly winds and sun.

We got on the water quite late at Stolene in Solund. And a long few hours against the head wind. Not my most favorite wind direction. Head wind. But we pushed on and made a stop on Færøyna to collect water. We met a couple who live on the island so we stopped to chat to those. Our camp spot being on the north of the island we had decided not to stop for lunch but continue.

By the time we got to the camp it was 1600. Too late for lunch; that's dinner time. The landing was on a beach and the tide was out so just mud. The clips had come loose on my boat so I just wanted to get on land and fix the problem. So I had taken my boat apart and carried it up the muddy beach in time for Tobias to walk around and come back just to say.. It looks better to land over there. Well I wasn't getting back on the water and I wanted food. So while Tobias landed on the rocks I had emptied my boat in the mud and he came back to help me carry the three piece over the long grass and rough terrain to the better landing and camp spot.

I did have two dinners to overcompensate for the lack of lunch.

Day 11 14/07/2018

Waking up to wind direction in your favor you sometimes think it's a dream. But yes gentle breeze from the south. Perfect. We had in the back of our minds England were playing Belgium and there was a put on Atløy so maybe we would make it there today I time for click off.

We paddled from our camp spot to Aralden for lunch, just under a two hour crossing. From our previous day's experience, lunch was an important spot. As we paddled into the bay at Aralden I could hear exhaling behind me. Surprised to see a seal was on my tail.

We continued on to Atløy where again we met more seal, lying on the rock and a more in the water. I haven't seen so many seals before in Norway. Curious creatures as they follow us for a little bit.

We made it to Atløy at 1500, yes in time for the football. But everything looked locked up. In the small villages sometime the pubs only open once a week or less. But we asked around and found we were an hour early. But enough time to wash kit and organize. Even in all that effort we still managed to miss the first goal. But after many days of cooking outside it was a luxury to have a burger and beer.

Day 12 15/07/2018

We set out from Atøy heading North towards Florø. A bit unsure of any places for landing and putting up our tents. We are now paddling an area neither of us had paddled before. The unknown. We first crossed over to Askrova passing a pod of dolphins along the way. This was our longest crossing so far and was happy to get on land for lunch at Askrova. Interesting bay with a draw bridge from one island to the other with a button to push up and down.

There were a few suggested camp spots on Askrova but in the end we decided to push on to Florø. I had seen there was a public beach next to the airport I'm sure for one night we would be fine. Being closer to the city for our shopping trip the day after.

Day 13 16/07/2018

After spending the night on the public beach we packed our kayaks and was on the water for 10. There looked to be a short cut on the inside of Florø so we head north east. I sa some kind of sign and was pretty sure on where the small channel was but Tobias has decided to go east and check. I kept going to what looked like a wall of seaweed. I was right, the tide quickly talking me down a small channel which felt like the entrance to a sewage pipe.. But where was Tobias. I had to quickly back paddle out of the channel to find him. We soon got to Florø, our first town in a while so we spent a few hours shopping, eating pizza and of course coffee.

Getting back on the water at 1530 our next goal was to get to Igland on Bremanger. So we head north. Florø was busy with boat traffic so we both were quite alert making the crossing of Frøysjøen. Luckily no boats. On the map it looked like we might be able to camp before we got to Igland but as we were getting closer the coastline was quite rocky and steep. We knew there was a campground at Igland so eventually we decide to push on.

First camp with facilities. Which for me was the first shower I have ever had on an expedition. And I must admit it was very nice.

Day 15 17/07/2018

At Igland I wanted to meet an good friend of mine Isak. This was the home of his grandad and where his mum had grown up. Beautiful place. So he gave me the tour of where they lived and along the road to the end where there were lovely beaches.

Tobias and I then enjoyed a cup of coffee and asked the locals for suggested tent spots and it sounded like Vetvika was the place to go. So we pack up out kayaks and head onto the water. Isak and his grandad had cycled down to wave us off.

The weather was beautiful but coming around the western headland on Bramanger was exposed. Big waves crashing up the cliffs and a tidal race at the headland. Nice with a bit of excitement.

We then rounded the headland and paddled north east towards Vetvika. About 2km off Tobias had decided we hadn't gone far enough and this wasn't the bay we were looking for it was further along. So we paddle to the next headland. Wondering why we could see houses quite far away; yes we had passed Vetvika and ended up turning around to go back.

The bay was beautiful and defiantly worth stopping for camping. Best view and tent spot so far.

Day 16 18/07/2018

Weather forecast was rain today from 1000-1800, so we had to make sure we were packed and wrapped up by 1000. We were pretty close and 10 minutes after being on the water the rain came pouring. Not bad timing. We paddled north toward Måløy, sky's grumbling above us.

Just as we rounded the corner to Måløy a car had stopped on the road with kayaks on top. Two women shouting and waving to us from the road. We waved and there were some signals to Måløy. Not being sure who they were we had our guesses. And yes it was Kristin and Emma who we had met in Solund and on the boat to Bulandet now again on our way to Måløy. Defiantly felt like we had some goupies. We met them at the shore in Måløy. We were kindly invited for dinner and Emma asked if she could join us for a few day,

So we paddled to our camp spot where Kristin would come and pick us up.

As we landed we were checking for tent spots p, when I turned around to find my kayak had gone for a paddle on its own. Ops.. First trying to swim after it the kayak had gone too far not to get wet, I quickly jumped in Tobias’ kayak and paddled after it.

Lovely evening dinner at Kristin and Emma’s place with their family. Excited to have a new member to the team.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Lødingen - Sommarøya

Lødingen - Sommarøya Day 43 14/08/2018 I got on the water at Lødingen. This wasn't so easy. I had to climb down the rocks to get to ...